[PD] how to expand time limit for video delay?

Arturo Moya Villén arturomoyavillen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:41:48 CEST 2015

Hi, list members,
I've been using Pd for several years, and till now I've been able to solve
my problems by myself or consulting this list, so thanks very much everyone
for your help in these years.

But now I've got a problem that I can´t solve, so I´ll appreciate so much
your help. I'm working with pix_delay, an object that allows me to move the
real time image (with pix_video) between present and past changing
dinamically the delay's lenght. I have made several installations with this
concept and all them worked well, but I've always desired to expand the
delay's lenght (1800 frames at this moment). In my imagination I can see a
one year's delay. Even if I understand this is imposible rigth now, I would
like to find a way to, at least, expand this limit, but when I increase the
number in pix_delay and I create the gem window Pd crashes.

I assumed this happened for a hardware limit, cause I was working with a
not very powerful minimac (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, and a AMD
Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB Graphic Card). But some days ago I bought a brand
new Imac (Retina 5K, 27-imch, Mid 2015 with a 3,3 GHz Intel Core i5
processor, 32 GB RAM and a AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 MB Graphic Card) and I
get an almost identical problem,(I arrived to 1850 lenght) so I feel a bit
desperate and without a direction to explore. Does anybody knows the reason
for this limit, and if it´s possible to expand? It´s an issue related in
somehow to the Pd architecture? I´ll appreciate so much your help.

I prefer to work with 0.42.5 Pd extended version, but I've tried with the
0-43.4 version suffering the same problem.

I send you in an attachment the smallest version of the patch, with the
resolution I work with (if I increase  the resolution the lenght must be
smaller and viceversa). When you load the patch you have to wait a bit more
than a minute, so the lenght's delay can be loaded. You can change the
number in the right inlet and see the changes.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Arturo Moya

--
Teléfono: 655333548