[PD] [PD-announce] ANN: pd-l2ork version 20150917 now available

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 21 09:18:53 CEST 2015

On 2015-09-21 03:42, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> I think that was because it was built with libMagick++4 whereas 14.04
> and newer Ubuntu versions have libMagick++5. I am not sure why this
> matters (sounds to me like something may be improperly symlinked
> system-wise).

i would say that Debian has a pretty well established system to avoid
breakage of applications due to library incompatibilities.

part of this scheme is to rename library packages (e.g. "libMagick++4"
vs "libMagick++5") if and only if the two libraries are binary incompatible.
usually this means that some previously exported symbols have vanished
in the newer version.

a specific application might not use those symbols at all and would thus
not be affected by the incompatibility.
but using symlinks (system-wide!) is certainly the right approach to
break your system, and thus should be avoided.

there are two solutions for this problem:
- ship all dependencies (the w32 and OSX way)
- link against the proper libraries (the linux distro way)

fgmadrt
IOhannes