[PD] more delay weirdness

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 00:51:45 CEST 2015

First I think it is of critically importance for people to remain
extra-polite on big, international listservs.

I would suggest to make conscious effort to tone down any hostility,
frustration, or anger you are feeling before posting. Take a deep breath.

Recall, we are all doing this to (mostly) to have fun :)

Next, I think this discussion could have great pedagogical value to
intermediate PD patchers like me to explain what this is all about.

I'm sorry but I do not understand "overlapping sub-patches" or the issue
with [vd~].

I would wager there are others here in my boat.

I very much would appreciate some more discussion here. Diagrams would help
me very much.

Thanks!

PS: I am personally loving [vd~] at the moment. I just made an abstraction
called "AutoPhase3".
That and my "AutoPan3" makes a really awesome Leslie (rotating speaker)
simulation.

Basically, it takes a mono source and writes it into a circular buffer.

Then, I have 3x [vd~]'s reading, with an LFO on the delay time. I can
change the speed and depth of the LFO, as well as the phase-distance
between them.

It's so freaking awesome! I then take these 3 signals and send them to
discrete AutoPan modules. Again, speed and depth of LFO variable.

OMG, the fatness! Just take a simple saw oscillator, or even a sinusoid--
anything! And you can get lush flanger, phasor, and chorus effects.

I guess it's like FM so it can really warp the spectrum. Create artifacts
not found in the original.

You can get it on GitHub.
TinyURL.com / BHPDToolkit

FYI: There are several demo-patches with bugs in abstraction names.
Everything is there in the repository, but some abstraction names changed.
I will fix when I can.

On Thursday, September 24, 2015, Christof Ressi <christof.ressi at gmx.at>
wrote:
>> cause I'm expecting the object to behave as it should
>
> more precisely, you're expecting the object to behave as YOU THINK it
should ;-). But you're right that this discussion can go on forever. I just
want to point out a last time that there's a difference between a bug and
improper documentation. For example there's a technical reason why for
computing audio in blocks, the reading onset for [vd~] would be less than
the buffer size of [delwrite~] (especially when deliberately increasing the
block size). This is totally logical and problems only arise because of
vague terms like 'maximum delay time'. So it's not that the behaviour of
[vd~] is wrong, but the helpfile - and that's an important difference!

> Regarding the behaviour of overlapping subpatches you just have to accept
how Pd works. Changing its behaviour will break hundreds of patches.
> To repeat myself, I personally think most of what you declare as a 'bug'
is just a matter of missing or misleading documentation.

> Cheers

technical sense (how ms are calculated in overlapping subpatches, how the
maximum index for [vd~] is actual less than the buffer size, etc.).
>> (...)
>> I'm personally rather careful with calling something a bug because
chances are high that there's simply a technical reason I didn't consider
or couldn't understand.

> Yeah, I see the way you think but I think quite differently and I still
consider these things a "bug". I know there might be technical issues that
explain why things happen. But when nothing tells me that when using an
overlapped block that I have to adjust time and frequency for objects, I
see that as a bug, cause I'm expecting the object to behave as it should,
and it just doesn't, and then my patches don't work and it sucks. I have to
ask the list why the heck something is not happening and why do I need
workarounds... someone had to look deeply in the code and sort it out...

> Well, and instead of building workarounds in the patch, I know there's a
way to "fix" this in the object (just divide by the overlap number
automatically in the code, seems easier than explaining it somewhere in the
help file of a block~) - it wouldn't be impossible to fix it.

> Regarding the maximum delay time. Well, help file says it can go up to
the total length and it doesn't... so... bug detected. I'm sure there's a
reason why it's happening, but I don't think its impossible to fix it and
make it happen as well.

> but anyway, I get your view, but I'll just disagree :) not sure if we
should discuss and try to change each other's minds.

> cheers

May you, and all beings
be happy and free from suffering :)
-- ancient Buddhist Prayer (Metta)