[PD] How does vline~ work under the hood?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Sep 26 18:56:45 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 11:24:40PM +0900, i go bananas wrote:
> In that case, maybe an even simpler question:
>
> What is the difference between sending a [1, 0 50(  message to vline as
> opposed to line ?

There will only be a difference in how line~ and vline~ react to this message
when the message was triggered by something with a "clock" inside. These kinds
of messages are called clock-delayed messages.

Clock-delayed messages originate in objects like [metro] or [delay] or [qlist].
Messages that originate for example in mouse clicks are not clock-delayed (i.e.
if you click a [bng] or move a slider).

vline~ evaluates clock delayed message with high, sub-sample timing accuracy.
line~ quantizes even clock delayed messages to block-boundaries or to 64
samples, I'm not sure ATM which it is. But line~ quantizes.

So depending on when the message was issued any by what, the ramp generators
may act the same or different.

Try delaying the message:

 [bang(

 [delay 0.3]