[PD] consolidate backward- and MaxMSP compatibility in Cyclone (was: Purpose of Cyclone)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:08:42 CET 2015

> On Dec 23, 2015, at 4:01 AM, katja <katjavetter at gmail.com <mailto:katjavetter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Recall cyclone/count~ which used to make Pd crash when receiving the
> 'set' message. Everyone learned to not send it that message. Now that
> the bug is fixed people may start using the set message, causing
> spurious crashes for those who use the patch with an old cyclone
> version. Oddly, the crasher bug fix may lead to a temporary increase
> of crash incidents. The remedy is simple for everyone; upgrade to the
> latest cyclone.

That’s an interesting point.

In that case, I’d make an abstraction wrapper around [count~] that filtered out the set message and printed something about it (aka “upgrade perhaps? :)". Add that to the repo for the older version, although there is no guarantee what version people would have.

Thankfully, deken should help make a transition like this easier.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>