[PD] Weird behavior of [moocow/bytes2any], or not?

Bryan Jurish moocow.bovine at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 20:54:19 CET 2015

moin Alexandros,

looks like you're creating an "any" message with the selector "float",
which iirc pd interprets as it does the output of a [float] object. without
further arguments (the float value), the float's value defaults to zero.
 if you really want the symbol "float", prefix it with the selector
"symbol" or "list".

happy solstice,
  Bryan / moocow

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Alexandros Drymonitis <adrcki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying several lists from symbols with [moocow/bytes2any] and the
> following behavior seems a bit strange to me.
> The following symbols, converted to numeral lists behave fine:
> a_float, a_string, string, a_bang, bang
>
> The corresponding lists sent to [bytes2any] are:
> 97 95 102 108 111 97 116
> 97 95 115 116 114 105 110 103
> 115 116 114 105 110 103
> 97 95 98 97 110 103
> 98 97 110 103
>
> If I send these lists to [bytes2any] it will output the correct messages
> (a_float, a_string, etc.). The symbol "float" though, which is converted to
> the list "102 108 11 97 116", when sent to [bytes2any] produces a 0 out the
> left outlet of the object.
>
> I have attached a patch that demonstrates this. The symbols are converted
> to lists with [list fromsymbol]. I could use [list tosymbol] to create
> symbols from the lists, but I want to test [bytes2any] in this case.
>
> Is this behavior expected or is it a bug?

Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
moocow.bovine at gmail.com         -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology