[PD] How's Pd limited?

patrice colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Tue Feb 23 13:41:09 CET 2016

Le 23/02/2016 09:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

> going to do when it dies? I'd love if Pd would provide some true
> multi-threading (not like [pd~] which is tightly coupled to its parent).
>
> Roman

That's a clever point I'm also sharing, but from informations grabbed in tcl documentation
that seem to imply a complete rewrite of the client:

Some consolidated rules for embedding Tcl in a threaded application:

  *

    You can*NEVER*use the same interpreter from more than one thread

  *

    If you only have one Tcl Interpreter:

  *

    You can use either Unthreaded or Threaded Tcl

  *

    No/Big Global Mutex/[ <http://wiki.tcl.tk/25243>Big Global Mutex] <http://wiki.tcl.tk/25243>is required for Unthreaded Tcl Build (Never required for Threaded Tcl build)

  *

    If you have Multiple Tcl Interpreters:

  *

    If you are using an Unthreaded Tcl/Big Global Mutex/[ <http://wiki.tcl.tk/25243>Big Global Mutex] <http://wiki.tcl.tk/25243>is required for*ALL*calls to functions in libtcl

  *

    If you are using a Threaded Tcl, no mutex locks are required