[PD] a multislider GUI as abstraction

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:49:11 CEST 2016

> Have you ever considered upgrading to 0.47?

But I do use 0.47, I also said I tried this abstraction first on vanilla ;)

> Whatever it is you experienced with Pd-0.43-extended, I call FUD. Never
> experienced it myself (whatever you mean by 'screws things up in the
> system') nor did I hear from anyone such stories except from you.

well, I'm sorry I don't have a consistent report, but I can assure is not
only me, as i do teach Pd a lot, I have a didactic material, and I always
ask students to install 0.42, most install 0.43... then, at some point in
the course, I hear someone complaining about weird bugs I don't know where
they came from and that I can't solve, until I realize they're using 0.43

> The discussion arose because you sounded like compiled externals should be
> _generally_
> preferred which I still disagree with.

yeah, I guess I wasn't clear and I didn't mean to be categoric like I seem
to have been - but having said that... now that I started writing externals
myself (something I always said I'd never do), I do think they offer some
nice design options. And I do have a personal preference for them. When it
comes to GUI then, this is stronger... But well, that's me, and I don't
mean to impose or argue about our disagreement ;) and I'm pretty fine with
externals that I bump into that are actually abstractions, like [output~],
[snaps~], [unsig~], list-abs, etc... I'm not saying "bummer, I wish they
were externals, that sucks..."

cheers