[PD] no audio in pd-vanilla UBUNTU 16.04

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:10:00 CEST 2016

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 15:52 +0100, José Rafael Subía Valdez wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I need a bit of help with the latest vanilla (0.47.1) in ubuntu 16.04
> I have compiled from source but I can't seem to get the audio
> working.
> I have Ubuntu in my Macbook Pro (mid 2010) and I have followed the
> instructions  in "install.txt". checked the dependencies and after I
> finish it says:
>
> Configuration summary:
>
>   Target ...................... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>   C++ bindings ................ no
>   Debug output ................ no
>
>   ALSA ........................ yes
>   ASIHPI ...................... no
>
>   OSS ......................... yes
>   JACK ........................ yes

That is the summary for the portaudio configuration part, not Pd's own
summary. Actually, Pd lacks a configuration summary, but you'll find
something like this much further up in the ./configure output  -
certainly above a line that says:

=== configuring in portaudio (/home/roman/pd-src/pure-data.git/portaudio)

Those lines probably are of interest:

checking for snd_pcm_info in -lasound... yes
checking for shm_open in -lrt... yes
checking for jack_set_xrun_callback in -ljack... yes
checking for jack_set_error_function in -ljack... yes

I _believe_ those have to be "yes" in order for ALSA and JACK to be
supported by Pd. The lines you posted just indicated that the portaudio
backend of Pd supports ALSA and JACK (and even OSS [who uses that
anymore]).

This is not the first time this has caused confusion. Would it be
possible to design ./configure in a way that it prints a Pd
configuration summary _after_ the portaudio configuration summary?

Roman