[PD] deken and windows

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 17 21:51:49 CET 2017

On 02/17/2017 05:19 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Well, I missed the discussion then, as I wasn't using windows.

the discussion was about deken and creating search paths, not about windows.
the behaviour is the same on all platforms.

> But now that
> I'm trying it, I have to say the process is very confusing and could surely
> be improved.
>
> I raised the issue of providing an information on how to proceed, but I
> still think it's "hacky" and clumsy if we have to tell users they have to
> create that folder themselves. If deken looks for a folder that is not
> there, maybe the Pd installer could create that folder, simple as that. I
> can see github desktop found its way in creating a folder there, nothing
> that Pd couldn't do it as well, and then there'd be no need to create a
> documentation telling users they have to create the folder themselves so
> deken can find it...

[...]
> Sure, but isn't Pd's fault that the other stdpath wasn't created?

please check the archives for the discussion on (not) automatically
creating those paths.

it's trivial to create those folders (deken did that in the past), but
it has been consciously disabled.
i would like to avoid going through that discussion *again*.

> oh, and Pd does remembers your decision during the runtime of the
>> process (it doesn't remember it across restarts)
>>
> sure, but I wish it could remember my decision across restarts

please file a feature request at the deken project on github.
i'm pretty sure that it has a good chance of getting implemented.

gfmadsr
IOhannes