[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 22:36:36 CET 2017

Hey Alex

On Fre, 2017-03-03 at 18:19 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> > No, you just need to put it into a search path of Pd. If your goal
> > is
> > to test whether the most recent change works (creation of the user
> > specific folder), then you obviously can't use that, you may put it
> > into the application specific folder (don't know the exact path for
> > Mac, something like /Applications/Pd.app/[...]/extra).
> >
> > Download this file:
> > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pure-data/deken/master/deken-plug
> > in.tcl
> >
> > Save it to extra, make sure it has the name deken-plugin.tcl.
> that didn't woirk, my pd has a pd_deken.tcl file in a tcl folder
> outside the extra folder, that's the one that needs to be replaced,
> so it seems...

I'm really trying to be very specific in my instructions. Please follow
them as closely as possible.

I said: put it into 'extra/' and name it deken-plugin.tcl. I didn't say
"overwrite the internal one, which is called pd_deken.tcl and lives in
tcl/". Both can co-exist just fine. The one in extra/ has precedence
over the included one.

> but if I replace it by the renamed file from the link you're pointing
> me, well, I get no new behaviour.

Follow my instructions.

> and what do you mean I "obviously can't use that"? I can't test the
> creation of the user specific folder? Then it's pointless :/

Of course you can test that. I'm trying to say that you obviously can't
put the deken-plugin.tcl file into $HOME/Library/Pd (which would
normally be a sensible location), because you want to test if the new
deken-plugin.tcl creates that folder, so I assume it doesn't exist at
the beginning of your test. Maybe I was indeed not very clear. Sorry.

Roman