[PD] Capture Gem output: best practices?

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Sun Sep 17 20:15:38 CEST 2017

This is such a reoccurring question, I've always wanted to make a FAQ
about this where we can point to. There are quite a few possibilities
and it depends on the system and case which one is the best for you.

A) inside GEM
You can record the GEM window inside GEM with pix_record and pix_snap.
This is the cleanest and cross platform solution, because it doesn't
require additional soft- or hardware. You can also render things slower
than realtime, while making sure to save every frame.

B) outside of GEM, but inside the computer
Use a screen capturing software, such as Vokoscreen,
simplescreenrecorder, RecordMyDesktop or a broadcasting solution like
OBS to capture the GEM window and save it in a file.

C) outside of the computer
You can display the Gem output on an external monitor and record the
output with a hardware device that captures HDMI or DVI. Expensive, but
if the former solutions are not viable, then it's the only way. For
example you have a live performance with audio and your computer is on
its limits CPU wise, so it would crash or crackle if you would run A) or B).