[PD] TCL plugins advices

Jérôme Abel abel.jerome at free.fr
Sat Sep 23 00:26:43 CEST 2017

Hi,

I customed old tcl plugins and I wrote painfully two more here :
http://reso-nance.org/public/pd-malinette/tclplugins.zip

  * colors edit/action mode
  * add the word "edit" or "action" when you change the mode
  * menu_tree with own objects
  * add your own menu

I would like to have some feedbacks and understand tcltk for Pd and
plugin mecanisms.

To improve them and go further, I have some questions :

  * *Reference guide*. Is it the main resource about tclplugins :
    https://puredata.info/docs/guiplugins (+ pd-gui.tcl and other *.tcl
    files) ?
  * *Add text to the interface*. On the mode_label plugin, the behavior
    is strange, the text is superposed every time. If someone know about
    it...
  * *Colors themes*. I saw two pull requests about adding colors to the
    interface (https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/196,
    https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/162). A theme.txt file
    would be very easy to personnalize, or even better variables stored
    inside .pdsettings, stored in a second tab. Now, tcl plugins seems
    to be a good way to achieve that, but I didn't find some tricks :
      o start Pd with all colors setup, not after changing modes two
        times (strange behavior on the colors plugin).
      o add colors to distinguish between control & audio
        inlets/outlets. (like Pd-extended). Great feature for beginners.
        Also gemlist types would be nice.
      o add color to dashed rectangles when appears the error "couldn't
        create" (like Pd-extended)
      o the -fill and -activefill arguments on atoms (symbol, number)
        happened when the mouse is hover the border and the text, not
        hover the box. It could be really user-friendly (especially for
        symbol atom) to indicate a box is interactive by changing color
        of all the box when the mouse is hover. Is there a tcl argument
        for that ?
  * *Auto-completion* *plugin
    *(https://github.com/gusano/completion-plugin). Very handy, but the
    plugin does not add objects into canvas with pd048. The author does
    not have time to maintained it, and I don't see where is the
    problem. It is a very complex stuff (for me).
  * *Add media controllers to the Pd Window*.It could be logic to use
    the Pd window to hold customs media controllers : audio MASTER
    volume, pan + Gem dimensions switch + Arduino controller / ... Here
    a sketch of what it could be :
    http://reso-nance.org/public/pd-malinette/pd-malinette-interface.svg.png.
    If someone have some ideas how to implement this.

++

--
Jérôme Abel
http://jeromeabel.net