[PD] please don't use the l_ia64 extension (was Re: [PD-announce] ofelia v1.0.4: Pd external library written with openFrameworks)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 28 10:21:35 CET 2018

On 02/28/2018 01:27 AM, Ed Kelly via Pd-list wrote:
> Hmmm.I'm getting this extension on all the externals I compile on this machine.1) When I compiled ofelia as an addon in the openFrameworks file structure2) When I compile my own externals using a modified version of Hans' Makefile
> I don't know where this is specified, but these are the outputs I get!
well, from a generic build system's point of view, the extension is
non-standard.

so your build-system must set them.
i guess that 1) the ofelia build system set the extension for
Linux/amd64 on purpose and that 2) you yourself modified Hans' Makefile
to use that extension.

at least the standard template Makefile [1] doesn't know anything about
"l_ia64", and since you speak of a "modified version" i can only blame
the modification (it's really hard to tell without seeing).

and of ofelia's build system using "l_ia64", i guess that's just
happened in good faith, since Pd *does* look for "l_ia64" on x86_64.
but imho, this is a bug in Pd, hence my PR which fixes it and once fixed
your external will stop to load (as it exploits buggy behaviour).

(luckily there are only a handful deken packages in the archives that
use this extension; i've assembled a list which you can find at the end
of this mail)

gfsamrd
IOhannes

PS: btw, do you know pd-lib-builder? i think it is much nicer than the
old template Makefile.

[1] https://svn.code.sf.net/p/pure-data/svn/trunk/externals/template

# appendix

the following deken packages found on puredata.info use the "l_ia64"
extension for Linux/x86_64 binaries.
packages that have multiple versions uploaded are only mentioned once.
i have not checked whether there's a newer upload of a package that uses
a better extension ("pd_linux")

uploader: ant1r
  pof

uploader: ossia