[PD] suggestion: $0 in messages

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:42:03 CEST 2018

Hi, currently, if you want to use $0, you need an object cause it becomes
"0" when it's inside messages.

Pd-l2ork and Purr Data implemented a way that $0 works in the same way as
in objects than in messages, and I think it is a great feature, as many
patches can be significantly simplified. I guess most Pd users here know
what I'm talking about.

So, I'm interested in proposing that Vanilla includes such a feature. I'm
trying to figure out how to do it myself and then send a Pull Request via
github, but I'd like to also discuss here on the list if there'd be any
concern in doing so.

I just can't see how there could be any problem, or, in other words, I
can't see how $0 becoming "0" in messages is a desired feature or if anyone
could rely on this behaviour.

But, if there's any concern or resistance to this, no problem, my
alternative would be to create an external that would do that. but then I'd
like to know here first where should I aim my efforts, if to a Pull Request
to Vanilla or to an external design.

cheers