[PD] Preferences=>audio: block size & sys_getblksize

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Thu May 17 00:26:01 CEST 2018

the block size in Pd's audio settings refers to the soundcard and is totally unrelated to Pd's global block size - which is always DEFDACBLKSIZE (= 64).

Speaking from a Windows perspective: on old single client ASIO devices this would directly set the block size of the device (you can still see this behaviour with ASIO4ALL) but on modern multi client ASIO devices it's more about requesting a certain block size and the device might decide to give you something different (e.g. if your requested block size is lower then the device's global block size - which you usually set in a dedicated application, like RME TotalMix or Scarlett MixControl). Most of the time I just leave it at 64 samples and rely on the audio device returning the smallest possible value. Sometimes though, a larger block size seems to work better (I don't know why, since Pd actually does its own buffering). I always have to experiment when I get a new ASIO device.