[PD] Pd on Tiny Core Linux on Raspberry Pi

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:07:59 CEST 2018

Replying to myself below.

* Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com> [2018-07-11 12:31]:
> Hi,
>
> * Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> [2018-07-11 10:41]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 11/07/18 04:13, Peter P. wrote:
> > > Furthermore, does anyone know if the 'tc' user can be added to an
> > > audiogroup, whose permissions could be elevated through
> > > /etc/security/limits.conf (currently not present in piCore).
> >
> > I think you could do this by settings the rtprio limit directly in:
> > /opt/bootscript.sh
> >
> > It seems that sysctl and ulimit can't set this but maybe this will help:
> >
> > https://serverfault.com/questions/889635/seting-rtprio-limit-in-system-without-pam
> Thanks for that link! In this case I could run the patch as root anyway
> I think.
>
> Interestingly, starting pd from /opt/bootlocal.sh as root at startup
> will make Pd use all of the CPU and hence produce stuttering audio. When
> I change the corresponding line in /opt/bootlocal.sh to start as user tc
> 	sudo -u tc /home/tc/myPdStartupScript.sh
> Pd runs normally.
>
> > > This might be off-topic, but has anyone managed to create a persisntent
> > > home directory inside /dev/mmcblk0p2 (the ext2/3 partition created by
> > > piCore itself, which I did maximize already)?
> >
> > You can use the command `filetool.sh -b` to backup a snapshot of the homedir
> > to the SD card and it will be returned to that state on reboot.
> This is what I read from the docs and what I am currently using. Albeit,
> I am having a 300MB sound file in my home dir and it being part of the
> filetool.sh backup immensely slows down startup as the OS has to
> uncompress the audiofile.
Managed to shrink the existing filesystem in /dev/mmcblk0p2 using
resize2fs as well as the partition using fdisk.
Created yet another partition /dev/mmcblk0p3 with an ext4 filesystem
which now gets mounted as home with the boot option
	home=/dev/mmcblk0p3

There might be more elegant ways of doing this, but it works fine for
me.

thanks Chris and list again,