[PD] drag and drop - tkdnd on osx

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Tue Oct 23 21:26:05 CEST 2018

hi wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> I have tried tkdnd a couple of times, especially when tk changed from 8.4 to 8.5 in the pd package (0.47??), but i had less success with it. If i remember correct i was able to drag pd patches onto to the pd window to open them, but what i was looking for was dragging files onto my Pd patch to use a reference to them, so to share their path with my patch. Is this working on windows for you?

i'm not sure i understood correctly what you mean, but yes, i managed to
make dnd work for my own purposes (opening sound/video/text files via
drag and drop onto a specific field ---> their full name gets sent to a
global receive)

but i had to hack it in a very crude manner that would send shivers of
disgust down every coder's spine ;-)

it's really only a modification of IOhannes' dnd plugin.

anyway, i attached all the necessary files plus instructions where to
put them. you will also find an abstraction of mine called [ol_dropfile]
that outputs the absolute path of any file you drop on it (save for .pd
files, those are put into the patch as objects). plus there is a
helpfile to check if it's working for you.

on my windows 7 machine it works for both PD 0.48 and PD 0.49.

i have to add though that i always use the non-install version of PD
(the .zip package), but that shouldn't really matter in this case.

best

oliver