[PD] patch scroll bars

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:51:47 CEST 2019

With the current scrollbar appearance logic, creating patches with
tight window margins is difficult. I experience similar issues to what
you describe on Linux. It seems the scrollbars make themselves
necessary only because they appear and then only disappear if you
significantly increase the window so that there is margin > scrollbar
width on each dimension.

Because a netpd session consists of a quite high number of sometimes
quite small windows, a lot of screen estate is wasted with menus and
scrollbars. i gave up on trying to find the right margin to not trigger
scrollbar appearance. Instead, I'm using different aliases to run Pd,
one with kiosk-plugin loaded for performances, and another without
kiosk-plugin for editing. I must say, I'm quite happy with this
solution, but it also means that other people using my patches do have
to sometimes resize some windows because content gets covered by
scrollbars.

Which makes me think: Why do we need menus when not in editing mode?
The Pd main window already shows everything that could be of use while
in run mode.

Roman