[PD] less intelligent patching for Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:21:55 CEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 16:08 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> an early summer update...
>
> TL;DR: https://vimeo.com/showcase/5289665/video/340437816

I've been using this branch since IOhannes announced it and I'm still
very fond of the features. It works very well for me the way it is
designed.

Since I'm using this branch I sometimes experience hangers in the GUI
when starting Pd. I start Pd and the Pd console window stays solid gray
and no patch window appears, although I see the output of the patch I
started Pd with in the terminal I started Pd from (using -stderr). Pd
_is_ actually running. After a while - from a few up to 30 seconds -
suddenly the patch appears and content of the Pd console is shown. From
this moment on things run smoothly. I sometimes - though much fewer
times - experience a similar behavior when clicking on a subpatch. It
opened, but stayed solid black and the GUI was frozen for a while,
though sound was still running. After a while, GUI processing resumed.

My only indication that it is related to less intelligent patching is
temporal correlation: The behavior appeared after I compiled the less
intelligent patching branch. I was hoping to find more actionable
findings than this kind of fuzzy report, but failed to do so and am
wondering if others are experiencing a similar behavior with the less
intelligent patching branch.

This is on Ubuntu 18.04 amd64.

Roman