[PD] font issues - once again ...

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Mon Sep 9 12:06:36 CEST 2019

Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
>> 1.) Do other Linux users have the same font experience, or is my
>> distro messed up ?
> I have used Debian 9 (xfce) & 10 (lxqt) and it's very close to the same
> compared to Windows. (your screenshot shows a *huge* difference)

after a quick test on debian 10 (xfce) i can confirm that ! so there's
likely something messed up in my ubuntu font management, even though i
can't really find out what. no exotic dejavu versions found from my
font-manager. but then (after temporarily deactivating "DejaVu"-fonts)
PD loads "Courier" which i haven't even installed (according to
font-manager)

which leads me to another issue i experienced:

PD seems to behave differently (regarding fonts) when called from a bash
script with "-noprefs" as opposed to a call from the applications menu.

the latter doesn't seem to care about the "-font-face" flag in
.pdsettings. no matter what i put there, always "DejaVu" gets loaded.
only from a bash script with the "-noprefs" option, i can try out other
fonts with "-font-face", like "Ubuntu Mono", "FreeMono" etc.)

anybody else on UBUNTU who would share experiences in this regard ?

>> 3.) why is the windows default font-weight bold ?
> Linux and Windows defaults to bold since a long time ago.

my bad ... i always use a customized font-face startup script on windows
(with the .zip version of PD) so i am somehow in my own bubble ;-) >
>> it looks ... well ... fuzzy to me ...
> On Windows "DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf" must be loaded or installed. If
> "DejaVuSansMono.ttf" is forced to "bold" it looks ugly.

For comparison reasons i did a proper PD install on my windows machine
(0.50). "DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf" is loaded alright, but that looks
heavy on the eyes (and yes, ugly) to me. but at least the spacing of
boxes, messages, even comments are more or surprisingly consistent
across platforms and versions, so that's fine with me.

best

oliver