[PD] env~ argument confusion

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 7 12:37:56 CET 2020

On 2/7/20 11:04 AM, Peter P. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to understand what the second argument of [env~] is for.
> The first argument is the window lenght for RMS analysis, but the second
> argument is supposed to set "period in samples per analysis (window/2
> default)". It seems I am getting two analysis values per window size
> with the defaults of
> [env~ 1024 512]

this means that you will get a new value every 512 samples (aka 8
blocks, or 11.6ms at 44.1kHz).
the value you get will take the last 1024 samples into account to
calculate the RMS.

> How would that be different from
> [env~ 512 512]

this means that you will get a new value every 512 samples (aka 8
blocks, or 11.6ms at 44.1kHz).
the value you get will take the last 512 samples into account to
calculate the RMS.

so you get the same number of values, but they use different time-frames
for doing the averaging.

gdsamr
IOhannes