[PD] packed floats to select object changes the select value

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Sep 21 11:53:33 CEST 2020

> add a list method to truncate incoming lists to the first item. ...
> Would that work?

Unfortunately no, because [select] already has a (default) list method.
Also I don't see why the behavior should depend on the presence of
creation arguments...

In Pd we can *extend* behavior, but we can never *change* existing
behavior, unless it is clearly a bug - which is not the case here!

> The issue is that accidentally sending a list to the select object
> invisibly changes its behaviour
Well, the same happens if you accidentally send a list to [+], [-],
[del], [metro], [line], etc.

What we *could* improve is the help patch, i.e. make it clear that list
messages are distributed across inlets. But then we would actually have
to do this for all the other objects...

As others have already pointed out: unless the help patch explicitly
mentions a list method, the object has a default list method, which
distributes items across inlets. When in doubt, use [t f] to prevent
list messages.

Christof