[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Sun Jan 17 22:51:34 CET 2021

IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 1/17/21 7:40 PM, oliver wrote:

> you need to convert the unicode codepoint to utf8.
> for the unicodepoint 8983, the utf-8 sequence is "232 166 131".
> feeding this sequence to [list tosymbol] will give you "覃" (which is
> think is what you want)

wow, thanks, that's great news !

still, that's not the desired symbol, i think there's been a
decimal/hexadecimal mismatch of the unicode code point ...

anyway, the right utf-8 sequence for "VIEWDATA SQUARE"
would be "226 140 151", see attached patch.

> i'm honestly baffled by this discussion.
> afaik we have a working unicode implementation in Pd for more than 10
> years.
> what's the buzz, tell me what's a-happening...

(... whyyyyy wouuuuld youuuuu want to know ... ;-))

it's the difference between the representation of the sharp symbol in
symbol canvas vs. GUI canvas, where the sharp symbol is printed as a
dollar sign.

attached is example image and patch, plus utf-8 solution !

best

oliver