[PD] should 'flags' always come first?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 28 18:13:50 CET 2022

On 2/28/22 17:47, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> I know, that's because they should come first! This is why I think it's
> confusing that sigmund~ doesn't complain and it just works...

i doubt that it is confusing.
but: if you do find it confusing, just put the flags at the beginning.

it's not like Pd is *forcing* you to put the sigmund~ flags at the end,
and the flags for all other objects at the beginning. (*that* would be
an inconsistency, and deserve some attention).

it's not even documented, that you can put the flags at the end.
and i agree with christof, that there's no benefit in documenting that
you can put them at the end.

so just forget it, and the source for the confusion will be gone.

> [netreceive -u 5000] will listen to port 5000 and will use udp protocol,
>> but
>> [netreceive 5000 -u] will listen to port 5000 and use tcp protocol!! -u is
>> ignored in this case...
>>
> yup, wrong order, so it gets ignored, but a warning should be given
> that the order is wrong, so it's ignored!

i agree that a warning should be given if there are any ignored (and
probably also: unknown) arguments (for objects with a complex invocation).

in general i think:
it is confusing if things don't work.
it isn't confusing if things do work.

fmgdasr