[PD] Deken filename too long for certain filesystems (ecryptfs on ext4)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 19 11:32:55 CEST 2022

On 4/9/22 23:48, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> I think having a lower limit than the common 255 characters is silly. I
> don't think that Deken packages should assume a smaller filename limit
> than 255. However, we see that the above example is not that far from
> that (support for a few additional archs or double-precision could
> reach it). Also, I wanted to share my experience. Maybe it has an
> impact on the recent external double-precision file extension
> discussion.

please create a bugreport on https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues

there is no real reason that the name of the downloaded file must have
the full long name.

in the meantime, you can
1. right-click the package you want to install and select "Copy package URL"
2. paste the URL in your favourite browser
3. let the browser download the file, but rename it to something shorter
4. use the "Install DEK file..." menu (hidden under the [More...]
button) to install the manually downloaded file
(alternatively, you could also just drag the .dek file  onto the deken
window)

when renaming the .dek file, make sure to keep the library-name (esp. if
you use the "Try to remove the library before reinstalling it"
functionality); and of course keep the .dek extension.

gfasmf
IOhannes