[OT] Re: [PD] Plugin~ object!

David Casal d.casal at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 24 13:53:24 CET 2001

> ::How easy is it to switch to say, debian.
>
> (i'd say, rh7 is more
> 'testing' than woody, debian's current testing distro)
> of course, there's still enough to fiddle around...

potato is best stable debian distro, 2.2 based and extremely easy to
maintain/upgrade (apt-get has even gone kernel-able, by now!)

>but I heard, Guenter is working on an own
"multimedia/sound-distribution"(?).
>marius.

DEMUDI (Debian Multimedia Distribution) is @:
http://www.demudi.org/

guenter's page about it:
http://gige.xdv.org/pages/DeMuDi

Thing is...if you have a well-configured debian potato box, with low latency
kernel patches applied, then you're already very close to demudi, minus the
amazing amount of sound software included, etc. In any case, more than any
other distributions (Dead Rat, etc.), Debian allows for such sorcery as
dynamically switching kernels (like modules), so you could run a stable
potato (...) and demudi on the same system, healthily.

PD ~loves~ debian , once you get past soundcard configs and kernel tweaking,
coz unlike heavier distros, you can scale down gracefully and get much more
transparent control over processes, background stuff, etc.

[my 2 c]

David

David Casal  ¬  d.casal at uea.ac.uk
http://ariada.uea.ac.uk/~dcasal