[PD-ot] Robotic arm

Ian Smith-Heisters public at 0x09.com
Wed Oct 19 15:48:23 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Not exactly PD here, but I know there's lots of installation artist
types around here and thought someone might have a clue for me.

I'm looking for a robotic arm for an installation, and would like some
tips on what to look for. I want something 5-15 feet long, and it
doesn't need a "hand" or pincer, or whatever you call that grippy thing
that's on lots of them. Really just a long, articulated stick that can
swivel 360 degrees on its base and has a full range of motion in each of
at least 2 joints (elbow, shoulder, more would be nice). I have a bit of
electrical engineering experience, so a kit would be fine, and fun too.
But I don't think I want to put out the effort to spec it and fab it myself.

Does anyone know good vendors for such a beast? Good brands and models?
Features to stay away from? Other properties I should take into
consideration?

Thanks much,
Ian

P.S. If you think this might be appropriate for pd-list, as opposed to
pd-ot, LMK, since pd-list probably has more subscribers.