[PD-ot] setting up ubuntustudio

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 17 16:39:11 CET 2006

hard off wrote:
> is there any way i can just make ROOT and USER as the same thing, and
> not have to enter my password or get read/write permissions anymore?
>
> i mean...no-one else WANTS to use this computer.

thats what most w32-users think too...and that's why there are hardly
any exploits, rootkits, trojans and the like.

if you don't like the concept of privilige separation switch to w32 or
osX (OSX/Leap-A is just waiting for you...)

seriously, becoming root now and then will not shorten your creative
uptime on the long run.

there are a few special cases where becoming root might really be a
nuisance (e.g. somebody else needs control over a service but you don't
want to give them the root-password; on single user laptops, configuring
the wlan might also be ok to reside in user-space); for this, checkout sudo.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes