[PD-ot] Re: [PD-announce] netiquette of pd-announce

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 10 14:12:00 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Steffen hat gesagt: // Steffen wrote:
>

>>Finally i'd like to state that it would be nice if announcments was  sendt
>>to the announce list only. I see no reason to cross post. And i  see no
>>reason to post announcements to the pd-list, since there is an
>>announcment. I suggest this to be added to the netiquette.

personally i agree.

> To me pd-announce is a subset of pd-list for those people who don't
> want to follow every discussion and flame war, but don't want to miss
> important announcements either.

i agree too.

> pd-list has manymany more subscribers than pd-announce, so I guess,
> many pd-list subscribers either don't want to read pd-related
> announcements - I doubt this - or many pd-list subscribers just don't
> know about pd-announce or didn't bother to subscribe. All these people
> would miss pd-announcements on pd-announce, unless they are
> crossposted to pd-list. That's the reason why I cross-post to both
> lists. I'd like to continue to be allowed to cross-post, because it is
> unlikely that we will get several hundreds of pd-list subscribers not
> yet subscribed to pd-announce to change their subscription habits.

a simple solution would be to add the entire pd-list to the pd-announce
subscribers and set all subscribees (is that the word?) of pd-announce
who are also subscribed to pd-list to "no-mail" so they don't get
cross-postings.

what do you think?

> Regarding posts from non-subscribers: I'd vote for keeping pd-announce
> open to them.

as stated previously, i am also tending towards such a solution.

however, i still like to enforce regular posters to pd-announce to be
subscribed: it is rather tiresome if i have to manually approve dozens
of posts from e.g. hsteiner at poly.edu (sorry hans, this is just an
example :-)) just because addresses who are legitimate but obviously
one-time posters are let through.

mf.asdr.
IOhannes