[pd-ot] electric circuits in software

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 26 13:16:34 CEST 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 4:27 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:05:21PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 25, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

>>> Do you have empirical data to back up this statement? Has
>>> neuroscience
>>> really progressed to the point that we can claim absolutely that the
>>> human brain is incapable of the task of high frequency signal
>>> analysis?
>>
>> that much about neuroscience.  But I do know enough about science to
>> tell you that humans cannot tell the difference between such things
>> in double-blind tests.  So you don't need to know anything about
>>
>> In a carefully controlled environment, with very nice equipment,
>> something like 99.5% of people cannot tell the difference between
>> things like tube and transistor amps, digital or analog audio, or
>> electronic circuits or digital recreations.  Try it yourself
>> sometime.
>
> I believe you, but could you point me to any articles that back this
> up? I've often wondered whether such research has been conducted,
> and have never managed to find it, but maybe I'm reading the wrong
> journals. Performing a double-blind test on myself would result in
> purely
> anecdotal evidence, which I'm not that interested in.

About 10-15 years ago, I used to build my own speakers and amps, so I
was in the "audiophile" world.  There is some discussion about this
kind of thing in audiophile magazines, but then there are many
audiophiles that say things like "double-blind tests hide the
differences in equipment".  But basically none of them will argue
that its hard to tell the difference between such things in double-
blind tests.

I don't remember any specific studies off hand, but I do remember
reading the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society (aka JAES) and
the journal Speaker Builder a fair amount, and things like
Stereophile magazine.

____

                                                               -
Eldridge Cleaver