[pd-ot] electric circuits in software

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Apr 30 18:21:08 CEST 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Miguel Ramos wrote:

> Finding the total bitrate for all frequencies wouldn't be easy, because
> you can still recover information from signals with S/N ratio < 1, which
> is why bitrates over the same wires keep increasing. I don't know if the
> theoretical limit for this is known.

There's nothing so special about S/N < 1, it's not a threshold, except
maybe psychologically. The difficulty of transmitting something increases
gradually when S/N decreases and it's just a matter of coming with more
robust error-correction codes, even if it means duplicating the info an
insane amount of times just to help a few bits go through...