[Pdweb] Webpage Development Wiki and Collector

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jun 12 19:39:53 CEST 2003

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 12:20 America/New_York, Marc Lavallée
wrote:

> Le 12 Juin 2003 09:59, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
>> I don't think that a Wiki is a good replacement for a blog.
>
> With Plone, blogs and wikis are not that useful. Plone already have a
> news
> section, and every registered user can submit news, events, files,
> links,
> images, create forums, etc. Plone is a groupware, not only a portal
> system, so people better get registered in order to participate. It's
> too
> confusing when there's duplicate functionnalities in such a system.

What I mean by 'blog' is a page where people can respond to postings,
what I mean by 'wiki' is a site that _anyone_ can edit (i.e. without
registering).  I think we need this functionality in the pure-data
site, but it can be implemented in the plone way.  I am very hesitant
to make the whole site operate in the plone way since few users know
the plone way, while many know web forums, blogs, and wikis.  If
everyone has to learn the plone way, I think we'd lose a fair amount of
postings since people wouldn't want to bother learning some new
software.  If we can make the site seem like a blog, forum, or wiki,
while using the plone functionality, then that would be ideal.

This is what I think this means in practical terms:

blog = a section where news/announcements have to be reviewed/published
but then anonymous responses/discussion are allowed.

forum = a section where anonymous can publish and respond/discuss

wiki = a section where anonymous can edit/publish but without a
discussion/responses

I am not sure that having everything be a discussion board would
necessarily be the best thing.  I think it should be highlighted in
some sections (i.e.'news'), and take a minor role in others (i.e.
'Docs', 'Downloads')

>> As for 'Exchange' I actually really like this idea.  I think it would
>> be awesome to have an informal place to swap patches.
>
> Registered users can put their stuff in their own publication space.
> The
> exchange section could gather informations about user's patches. I'd
> prefer people to actually use Plone the way it's designed instead of
> turning the sections as informal and messy web forums.

Right, everyone can publish their own content in their own space, but
other moderated spaces, like an 'Exchange' section, would be very
useful in organizing all the content on people's personal space.  So I
think it would work like this:  people put up whatever they want on
their own space.  If they want, they can submit parts to be published
in various moderated sections (Exchange, Development, News, Downloads).
  What I want to figure out now is how Plone allows us to manage all
this user published content to make coherent sections while allowing
all the individual publishers to manage their content.