[Pdweb] Tracks as Topics

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jul 18 19:39:46 CEST 2003

Hallo,

> Though at first trial this seems nice, I am skeptical in the long run.
> What's the difference between this and running a search for the word
> "track"?  As far as I can tell, the only difference is the link in the
> nav.  What if people use the word "track" for other meanings, or don't
> intend that page to be published as a music track.  For example, if I
> posted a patch and described it as a "multi-track mixer", it would show
> up under the Tracks section even though its not a track at all.  I
> think a page that is writable/publishable by all members would be a
> better solution, but maybe this "Topic" feature could be honed.

Yes, it should be honed. The way to go in the long run is meta data.
I'm just now trying to get a topic to work where Keyword=="Track" is
the criterium. But somehow this doesn't work out yet.

I'm strongly against the "edit index-page" way. I see the automatic
page generation as one of the strong points in Plone, at least for
pages like the community ones.

> Also, following the plone URL guidelines, I changed the file name from
> "Tracks" to "tracks".  I can't seem to find the link, but somewhere in
> the docs for Zope/CMF/Plone it said that all "Names"/urls should not
> use upper case or dashes.  I agree with this, since it makes the urls
> memorable, and makes things clean.

Well, okay, this is consistent with the rest of our site now, but in
general all Zope/Plone sites use lots of UpperCaseWords. I'll try to
refrain from my WikiPythonHabit now... ;)

ciao