[Pdweb] portal - design

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 28 21:57:19 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Michael Zeltner hat gesagt: // Michael Zeltner wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >Hallo,
> heyho ;)
>
> >Actually I think, that no one is currently working on the graphical
> >side. I would like to change the logo someday, because the color(s)
> >just doesn't match the rest of the page.
>
> okay, so i'll set up an instance with a new design (is there a pd.org
> ci?

What's a "ci"? What happens to pd.org content and design-wise is
bysically decided here on this list, but as IEM hosts the site, all
technical things have to go through them, i.e. Winfried Ritsch. I
don't know IEM's plan's regarding a migration to plone 2.0, but at
least for pd.org it might not be a big problem: We don't have much
content yet and the skin is almost the default.

> or can i do "what i want"? logo too?) as prosposal.

It would be nice to see a proposal in advance, so nobody feels bad
with it, but until now nobody has done much graphics anyway.

> i can show you a kind of a graphical portfolio if you want me to.
>
> don't expect me to finish the portal within the next two weeks, i'm
> currently very busy :)
>
> >(I think it was planned to make a whole skin, but it didn't work out
> >yet obviously).
>
> making skins for plone 1.0 is very risky. the 1.0 skin architecture was
> pure hell, so migrating from a heavily changed 1.0 skin will be nearly
> impossible... 2.0 is much more modular. but as i said, most of the time,
> changes to the templates aren't necessary because nearly everything is
> changeable with css.
>
> >Is your skin visible somewhere?
>
> you can test the skin with the plone 2.0b1 tarball or just see it on
> test.plone.org. it looks like plone looked in 1.0 (because a part of
> plone is it's ui) but the code is different: accessible (wcag-aaa -
> section 508) and flexible (tableless - more ids/classes - more semantic
> code block positions, id allocation, classification).

This sounds very good. I tried to get the grips on skinning pd.org and
seeing dtml once again made me stop rather immediatly, although I'm a
bit comfortable with the CMF (if you search the CMF mailing list
archives from waaaay back - ~5 years ago -, you might still find my
name there ;)

Fortunatly web standards have come a long way since then, too, so it's
good to hear that Plone goes CSS skinning, like on csszengarden.com
which you have linked, too.

ciao