[GEM-dev] CVS checkins

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jul 15 10:42:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, IOhannes zmoelnig wrote:
> hi all.
>
> just added several things to the CVS:
>
> 1. text
> i did it again, rewrote big parts of the text-engine
> we now have support for both GLTT and FTGL
> i have moved a lot of code from the various Geos/text* classes into
> Base/TextBase
> i haven't yet compiled it under different platforms, but i have done a
> lot of (again) ifdefs, which should keep the both parts apart.
> all the GLTT stuff is within "#ifdef GLTT", and vice-versa the FTGL
> stuff is within "#ifdef FTGL"
> i can compile and run Gem with either of them enabled or both disabled,
> so guess it's done allright.
> what's so good about FTGL:
> .don't know
> .cross platform (i guess, there is no GLTT under macOS ?)
> .cleaner API (i really don't know, why GLTT is c++, as it doesn't use
> inheritance, which makes it a pain in the)
> .looks nicer
> .new features: extruded text (see the new object [textextrude]), and
> textured text (don't look for this yet...)

arghh, this ifdef stuff is really, really a pain and a hack.

Please, either just drop the GLTT things or sort them out into
a new class.
I can't believe that you did it again :)

> 2. particle
> added several new objects:
> [part_veldomain] let's you set the velocity domain (more flexible than
> [part_velsphere] and friend)
> [part_velocity] sets the velocity into a certain direction
> most notable: [part_vertex] emits one (only 1) particle each rendering
> cycle, but the offset-position of these particles can be set.
> this allows moving particle-sources without moving the whole particle
> system.

great, I have just done almost the same things yesterday :(

I would have liked to have the part_veldomain thing only and
deprecate part_velsphere, part_velcone and part_velocity.

Actuall only keeping an object called part_velocity with domain
support. THis matches closer the particle API and people can
directly use the particle documentation if they want to understand
what is going on.

Then it would be great to have domain support for the other
operations too (like part_source, etc ...)

Anyhow, good job.

Guenter