[GEM-dev] how close are we...

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jul 20 21:54:08 CEST 2003

Zitiere chris clepper <cgc at humboldtblvd.com>:

> To getting a final release out the door?
hmm..;-)

> I have recently completed the major points on my code check-list for
> a functional release:
>
> - pix_write works on OSX
cool
> - pix_film will load both YUV and RGB films using the 'colorspace 0/1'
> message
> - pix_video switches color-spaces on the fly using the same
> 'colorspace 0/1' message
ok, so we have done double work...
my [pix_*NEW] objects (video/movie) do (hopefully, not quite sure about movie
right now) support something like "color rgba" and "color yuv" messages.
they also have a "color grey" message (which i found very handy sometimes)

would it be possible to add grey-image support too ? (guess i hear a sigh from
you)
don't know, but i guess the symbolic reference "rgba"/"yuv"/"grey" might be
more intuitive then 0/1/?

> - texturing is now assured the fastest path (though the code is fugly)
> - most of the useful yuv_ objects are now in pix_
> - just about every pix_ object does YUV (not the latest commits from
> Jamie tho)
> - enough Altivec code is in place to make a difference (still need to do
> RGB)
> - overall performance on OSX seems acceptable
cool.

> Some things are still on the list:
> - full scene motion-blur using render to texture
> - whole list of pix_ objects (color-correction and analysis in
> particular)
> - a Quicktime .mov recording object
> - a few more yuv_ to pix_ conversions (luma_key)
> - various tweaks and tunings
most of these could wait for the next release then (if we manage to release
soon ;-))

> What does everyone else's TODO list look like right now?

stability of [pix_] objects ([pix_rtx] seems to be unstable sometimes, same for
[pix_sig2pix~] and [pix_pix2sig~])
need beta-testers for [pix_video] ieee1394-support under linux.

> Stability seems pretty good recently on the OSX side, how are the
> other platforms running?

Gem is sometimes quite peculiar when developing patches under linux.
however, it runs rockstable in, say, installations.

mfg.a.srd