[GEM-dev] how close are we...

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Jul 20 23:12:33 CEST 2003

>ok, so we have done double work...
>my [pix_*NEW] objects (video/movie) do (hopefully, not quite sure about movie
>right now) support something like "color rgba" and "color yuv" messages.
>they also have a "color grey" message (which i found very handy sometimes)

i forgot to say that my changes were to the old pix_filmDarwin way of
pix_filmNEW i suppose.  is it your intention to have the pix_filmNEW
included with the next release?

>would it be possible to add grey-image support too ? (guess i hear a sigh from
>you)

i can check and see what the QT support for 8bit greyscale is.  i
guess there's no reason not to include it...  the YUV to grey using
pix_grey should be really efficient way to do this too.  it may even
be faster than the QT internal conversion.

>don't know, but i guess the symbolic reference "rgba"/"yuv"/"grey" might be
>more intuitive then 0/1/?

i fully agree with this.  how about 'colorspace rgb/yuv/grey'?

>  >
>  > Some things are still on the list:
>
>most of these could wait for the next release then (if we manage to release
>soon ;-))

sure.  at this point, i would rather have the release come sooner
without those features than later with them.

>  >
>>  What does everyone else's TODO list look like right now?
>
>stability of [pix_] objects ([pix_rtx] seems to be unstable
>sometimes, same for
>[pix_sig2pix~] and [pix_pix2sig~])
>need beta-testers for [pix_video] ieee1394-support under linux.

i played around with the pix_rtx example last night and it did crash
when resizing the video input every once and a while.  the log always
pointed to line 195, which is the pixels[chRed] = rp[chRed] in the
RGBA inner loop.  obviously a pointer going off into no-man's land.

>  > Stability seems pretty good recently on the OSX side, how are the
>>  other platforms running?
>
>Gem is sometimes quite peculiar when developing patches under linux.
>however, it runs rockstable in, say, installations.

are those usually pd crashes?  i had a whole string of those for a
while a month or two ago, but they seem to have stopped.

quite a few of these:

Thread 0 Crashed:
  #0   0x8fe01280 in halt
  #1   0x8fe106b4 in link_in_need_modules
  #2   0x8fe12230 in _dyld_link_module
  #3   0x90016ae8 in NSLinkModule
  #4   0x0003bfe4 in sys_load_lib
  #5   0x00038b28 in glob_initfromgui
  #6   0x0003281c in pd_typedmess
  #7   0x000357bc in binbuf_eval
  #8   0x0003a138 in socketreceiver_read
  #9   0x00039c84 in sys_domicrosleep
  #10  0x0003ac00 in sys_pollgui
  #11  0x000387f4 in m_scheduler
  #12  0x00038d70 in sys_main
  #13  0x000026b4 in _start
  #14  0x000024e4 in start

i never traced it back to anything specific.