[GEM-dev] Re: "blend"-messages

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 22 20:45:22 CEST 2003

tigital wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 01:11  PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> do i hear some sarcasm?
>

> ...eeek, no!  I was just stating my by now obvious limited knowledge of
> C++ features, such as "inheritance" and "polymorphism":  didn't know
> them beyond buzzwords 3 days ago, but now understand...
>
>> anyhow, great things you have done so far.
still, you have done quite well (i dare say)

>> hm.
>> i cannot quite follow the example with all the numbers going in and
>> out objects (that's the second mail today, i don't understand, maybe i
>> get old ?)
>

> ...only as old as ya feel!  That sentence was a bit of a
> run-on...sorry...btw, I'm 37:  how old are you other guys?

well, of course, and i was laughing at myself while typing in the
sentence for the second time...
anyhow, 27.

>> basically, you are saying, that it is preferrable to have smaller
>> patches than bloated ones.
>> this of course is true, but i don't think 2 additional objects will
>> bloat a patch.
>> then i think, a patch is clearer if its functionality is defined by
>> its (graphical) structure (connecting [objects]) and not by internal
>> states of objects (connecting with [messages( )
>

> ...I agree, it's nice when you can look at something and tell what it
> does or doesn't do...unfortunately, that's not the pd/Gem way, what with
> unlabeled inlets/outlets and sometimes cryptic object names...

yes, but what should we do ? get a hand on miller and...

>> as for documentation:
>> indeed gem has become big and undocumented (alas!, this is no news),
>> when even the developers are not informed on features.
>

> ....yep, it's as simple as that:  I didn't know about the feature, yet
> knew how to add the blend function to the object...let's move on...uh,

and often i find features i have coded myself and didn't know ....

> that is, after we decide:  do we remove the blend message from geos that
> have it and advertise (and expand) the beauties of [alpha], or do we
> make it from the objects that have it now and make it an inheritable
> method?

personally i'd prefer the [alpha] object.
it is just:
manips are manips and geos are geos (for me geos are just drawable
forms, they don't know anything about color and antialiasing and)

mfg.as.rd