[GEM-dev] view for gemwin

tigital tigital at mac.com
Thu Sep 4 19:42:32 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 12:55  PM, ben at ekran.org wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm working on a GOP abstraction for the gemwin and am running into a
> little anoyance.
>
> First off the help for "view" in gemwin incorrectly states all the
> default
> views for the gemwin. They are correct except the camera is always at
> 4 in
> Z, not -4 as stated in the docs. (futher away from the camera is
> negative)
>
> Second I really want standard orbit camera control, where the mouse x-y
> controls the rotatation of the camera around the scene, usually with
> the
> camera pointed at the centre of the scene. I was thinking view may do
> this, but looks like you have to specify the cartesian coords of the
> camera.
>
> So before I patch it using sph2cart and some luck, what is the
> likelyhood
> of the view selector doing that?
>
> Here is an early version of the abstraction I'm working on. (It looks
> perflect in windows, a little wonky in linux, and who knows in OSX!)

hey ben,

...I've also been working on some better camera-type support, but
haven't settled down to a particular solution...on the one side, we
should be able to create an abstraction that works thru view messages
to gemwin...on the other side, perhaps we need a full [camera] object;
this could then have a fps-type control mode with input for
forward/backward, strafe left/right, up/down, and roll: and a "follow
object" mode, which allows rotation around a particular point...I've
been looking into different ways to calculate rotations:  using sin/cos
can result in "gimbal lock", which is incorrect rotation after multiple
similar rotations, or quaternions, which are complex numbers used to do
matrix multiplies...

...as far as the patch goes, it looks nice, but reminds me that
[gemmouse] isn't working on OSX...

l8r,
jamie