[GEM-dev] openGL context spanning multiple screens.

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Sat Sep 6 16:18:28 CEST 2003

Hey all,

I've done this in Linux, and assumed It would be no problem in OSX...

I want to create a large stereo window, one that spans two screens (dual
heads off an ATI card) so that each view has its own screen. The machine
will have a ATI PCI card for control display, and the ATI AGP dual-head
card. Do I use "secondscreen 1" ? Can I leave the gemwin offset to 0,0 (if
the screen is arranged futherest to the left) and just give it dimentions
larger than the physical screen so it spills over to fill the second
screen? Since Gem does video mode switching on OSX I'm not sure if this
will actually work... In linux all the "screens" are just viewports onto
one big desktop. So this is what I want:

   1024     1024     1024
+--------+--------+--------+
|Screen 1|Screen 2|Screen 3|
|OpenGL 1|OpenGL 2| 2D PCI | 768

my patch is on the (primary display) "screen 3"
the gemwin has an offset of 0,0 and dimen of 2048x768.

I've not been able to test anything because I don't have the dual-head
card yet, but I wanted to check with the OSX Devs because it would be a
real shame not to be able to do this...

Thanks all
Ben