[GEM-dev] single buffering

tigital tigital at mac.com
Thu Sep 11 23:10:12 CEST 2003

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 04:49  PM, cgc at humboldtblvd.com
wrote:

> Quoting ben at ekran.org:
>
>> heya all,
>>
>> I was just tinkering with an old patch and I can't get
>> single-buffering
>> work. It worked before...
>>
>> I'm using Chris's bianry release for OSX from two weeks ago.
>>
>> The window does not complain, seems to enter single-buffering mode.
>> but
>> when I try and draw something (by banging on a gemhead) I get nothing
>> but
>> black. Changing the gemwin color does not render either, all black...
>>
>> Anyhow I hope it gets fixed as its something I often use.
>>

> There is no single buffering of GL contexts in OSX.  Never has been
> and never
> will be.  There's nothing we can do about this - it was a very early
> Apple
> design decision.

...uh, strictly speaking you're right, but I do remember a 'single
buffer' mode working in earlier versions of the GEM OSX port...I think
it was one of ben's early example patches:  but as I recall, ya had to
select single buffer before creating the window, which resulted in the
buffer getting filled by all drawing events, which was cool as long as
ya had a way to change your drawing colors/shapes/etc...I haven't tried
this in awhile, so I'll look into it tonight...

l8r,
jamie