[GEM-dev] compilling Gem with visual C++

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu Sep 18 02:09:28 CEST 2003

Hi Cyrille, all,

Compiling Gem for Windows is pretty similar to compiling any library for
Windows... you usually have to chase down all the dependencies, install
them, update the project to reflect the dependency paths and then compile.
A bit of a pain but par for the course.

For GEM, many of the requisite libraries can be found in the ZIP of GemLibs
available at IEM.  If you want to use the more recent font support, you'll
have to install that separately.  There is often a small lag in updating the
project after CVS changes too of course... but it's usually just a matter of
adding the relevant files to the project.

There are two Windows projects in GEM CVS - a Visual Studio .NET solution
and a Visual Studio 6 workspace.  The VS.NET is kept reasonably up-to-date.
The VS 6 workspace is out of date but still a good start if you're compiling
in that environment.

It is certainly possible to write external libraries for GEM but you
probably still need to compile GEM itself in order to build an export
library that matches the GEM DLL you're using.   I have a bunch of very
messy GEM externals that I keep separate from GEM itself because they're
buggy, peculiar and probably never should have been written ;-)

If you haven't compiled any externals for PD itself before, you should
probably start there and more on to GEM once you have that working.   The
source and requisite headers and export library are available with the usual
distro of PD.  There are a number of sample workspaces around to build PD
externals in Visual Studio.

To answer your final question... model animation is not really supported in
Gem as it is.  This is obviously a significant deficiency but the world of
3d file formats and animation systems being what it is... it's a hard thing
to implement well and/or cleanly.  If you have the time to work on this for
Gem that would be wonderful.

One possible workaround would be break your model into static parts that
move relative to each other. Then you can load each one and animate their
relative arrangements using Gem.  This might work okay for something like a
simple skeleton but not for anything really complicated.  If you're doing
more procedural animation, perhaps you might consider making a particle
system generator that corresponds to the sort of animation or generative
algorithm that you're employing.

Hope some of this helps,
Daniel