[GEM-dev] More compilling Gem with visual C++

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Sun Sep 21 00:58:47 CEST 2003

Hi Cyrille,

These files use DirectShow (hence. the DS in their names) and require the
DirectX SDK to be installed.  Version 8.1 or 9 will work.  They're not
included in GemLibs for licence reasons and because the SDKs are very large
(~100Mbs from memory).  You need to install the SDK and build the "Stream
Base Classes" library.

You can disable the compilation of these DS-dependent Gem objects by
removing the relevant symbol in the compiler options.   From memory it's
called HAVE_DIRECTSHOW.

As I mentioned earlier, you might also have issues with font support - using
FTGL requires a separate install of that library.  The older GLTT system is
in the GemLibs.  You can select which font system you want to use via
compiler defines as well.

Good luck,
Daniel