[GEM-dev] CVS-checkins; marching towards release

tigital tigital at mac.com
Thu Oct 9 19:26:13 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 01:33  PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi all.
>
> i have just checked in further changes:
>
> [pix_texture]:
> i have removed the texture-flipping defines for __APPLE__.
> instead the flipping is depending on a variable "upsidedown" which is
> now part of the imageStruct. i have defaulted it to "true" on
> __APPLE__ and "false" otherwise, but it really should be set in the
> pix_source-object.

...haven't looked at this, but I guess it could be handy for quick
flipping of the image...

> [pix_film] (actually [pix_filmNEW] which is now the default for linux:
> added the "colourspace" message
> filmQT4L/filmMPEG3/filmMPEG1/filmAVIPLAY all set the "upsidedown"
> according to the orientation of the images they produce.
> all of them support all 3 colourspaces; furthermore they all output
> these 3 colourspaces *only*, which makes the stupid [pix_rgba] object
> in the example-patch obsolete (so i have removed it from 05.film.pd).
> fixed various bugs in these film*-objects, so you can now play back
> mpeg/quicktime/avi/divx and even asf files from within linux.
> i was very happy, seeing the homer.avi and even proprietary codecs
> like cinepak (ok, its old) under linux.
> however some bugs remain, but i have no idea how to fix them, since i
> think they are bugs in the used libraries:
> libavifile (0.7) randomly crashes when playing back mpegs (haven't yet
> found a way how to reveal "concealed errors".
> libmpeg1 still crashes when you try to load another format, but there
> is no way provided by the lib that would detect whether a file is
> really mpeg or not.
>
> [pix_movieNEW] (which is the default in linux) inherits [pix_filmNEW]
> but uses the texturing engine of [pix_texture] (so changes to
> pix_texture are immediately applied to pix_movieNEW too.
> therefore i have made pix_movieNEW a friend class of pix_texture.

...I still haven't gotten around to implementing the pix_filmNEW stuff
on OSX, but may try at some point, just to get better mpeg
support...but that's a low priority:  I mean, really, who would use
mpeg for realtime graphic manipulation?

> so which release-critical bugs are still around ? (the RGB output of
> [pix_film] was one)

lessee,

...I was just reminded that on OSX, the control objects such as
gemmouse and gemkeyboard do not seem to work:  I've been looking at
them, and don't really understand how they're supposed to do their
thing (there doesn't seem to be any platform specific code anywhere
inside)?  Can anyone shed some light on this?

...other than that, it seems that we're pretty close, and just need a
final go through to make sure the help patches and stuff are all
there...

...also don't remember if I mentioned, but I committed a camera object
in the manipulations directory, and need to up the help patch...it's a
simple spherical camera...

l8r,
jamie