[GEM-dev] more new primitive for gem...

Cyrille Henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Tue Oct 28 22:46:31 CET 2003

B. Bogart wrote:

>Hi Cyrille,
>
>What I'm making right now as an abstraction made out of 6 of your curve
>surfaces, each representing a face of a cube. Of course thic cube can be
>deformed to become a curve, but the edges between faces will always be 90
>degrees. (hard edge)

ok.

>So is there the possibility of having an enclosed shape (like the cube
>example above, where there is an intererior and an exterior that are
>non-continuous. A torus, cone, sphere, cube are all enclosed. A plane, your
>curve, and circle are not enclosed because they have only one surface (no
>interior).

yes, it's possible with the curent version of curve3D to do enclosed shape.
for a 5 5 control matrix of the curve3D object if :
control[0][i]=0,0
control[4][i]=0,0
control[i][0]=0,0
control[i][4]=0,0

the curve will then be an enclosed shape.
(0,0 will be part of the curve)
the shape will depend of the other control points.

>A blob would be different than the above example because it would not have
>any hard edges. A bubble is a blob... Basically I'm asking for a sphere
>primitive that you can move control points to destort the surface.

a sphere can also be done with the curve3D object using this :

with the 5 5 control matrix :
control[0][i] = circle diamettre = 0, heigh = 0
control[1][i] = circle diamettre = 0.7, heigh = 0.3
control[2][i] = circle diamettre = 1, heigh = 0.5
control[3][i] = circle diamettre = 0.7, heigh = 0.8
control[4][i] = circle diamettre = 0, heigh = 1

(it's possible with 5 points to draw a circle)
value are only aproximations
exact value can be found on internet...

I may not be very clear???

and yes, hard angles can be done using more than 1 curve3d, but I don't
know how to assume that all angle will alway be 90°.

>I'm CCing on the gem-dev so perhaps someone with better french can explain
>what I'm talking about.

I hope I understant this time.

I like the idee of the blob or other enclosed shape  but I don't know
(understand) how to control it in a better way than what's is curently
possible...
any idee of what I'm missing?

I made a patch of enclosed shape with curve3d : you may find pict
(new_tentacle) here :

http://drpichon.free.fr/pure-data/GEM/curve3D/

cyrille