[GEM-dev] FTGL only making static libs?? :(

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Sat Dec 6 21:14:40 CET 2003

Hello all, and Henry.

I'm trying to get FTGL to work from source.
It will not compile becuase it is trying to compile a static library, and
is trying to link to libGL.la (which does not exist on my system).

Now Does gem care if FTGL is static or shared?

I have configured FTGL with:

./configure --enable-shared --disable-static

But still FTGL will try and link a libftgl.la. The target in
FTGL/unix/src/Makefile is indeed libftgl.la

Here is the compile error (libGL.la not existing)

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link g++ -o libftgl.la -rpath /usr/local/lib
FTBitmapGlyph.lo FTCharmap.lo FTContour.lo FTExtrdGlyph.lo FTFace.lo
FTFont.lo FTGLBitmapFont.lo FTGLExtrdFont.lo FTGLOutlineFont.lo
FTGLPixmapFont.lo FTGLPolygonFont.lo FTGLTextureFont.lo FTGlyph.lo
FTGlyphContainer.lo FTLibrary.lo FTOutlineGlyph.lo FTPixmapGlyph.lo
FTPoint.lo FTPolyGlyph.lo FTSize.lo FTTextureGlyph.lo FTVectoriser.lo
-lfreetype -lz -lGLU -lGL
grep: /usr/lib/libGL.la: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libGL.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[1]: *** [libftgl.la] Error 1

Does FTGL *have* to be static?
Does Gem require static or shared?

SUSE was great, it had all the upto date stuff, now my 8.0 is dated and I
have to upgrade to get new packages... blech. Now that I actually have a
lot of stuff in my linux system is when I need to change/ungrade the damn
thing.
:(

Thanks
Ben