[GEM-dev] FTGL only making static libs?? :(

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sat Dec 6 21:27:00 CET 2003

At 12:14 PM -0800 12/6/03, <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
>Hello all, and Henry.
>
>I'm trying to get FTGL to work from source.
>It will not compile becuase it is trying to compile a static library, and
>is trying to link to libGL.la (which does not exist on my system).
>
>Now Does gem care if FTGL is static or shared?

On OSX, FTGL is statically linked, and I don't recall ever seeing
anything but a libftgl.a on any system (although I guess it's a .dll
on Windows).  Is there any reason you need it to be dynamically
linked?

>SUSE was great, it had all the upto date stuff, now my 8.0 is dated and I
>have to upgrade to get new packages... blech. Now that I actually have a
>lot of stuff in my linux system is when I need to change/ungrade the damn
>thing.
>:(

I've always been a SuSe fan, but one of the drawbacks was that most
people didn't use it and any incompatibilities between RedHat or
Debian could be a bitch to sort out.  But they had the out-of-box
experience down much better than the others and the configuration
tools were pretty good as well.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

cgc