[GEM-dev] FTGL only making static libs?? :(

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Sat Dec 6 21:56:21 CET 2003

> At 12:14 PM -0800 12/6/03, <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
>>Hello all, and Henry.
>>
>>I'm trying to get FTGL to work from source.
>>It will not compile becuase it is trying to compile a static library,
>> and is trying to link to libGL.la (which does not exist on my system).
>>
>>Now Does gem care if FTGL is static or shared?
>
> On OSX, FTGL is statically linked, and I don't recall ever seeing
> anything but a libftgl.a on any system (although I guess it's a .dll  on
> Windows).  Is there any reason you need it to be dynamically
> linked?

hmmmm, Maybe it has to be static, but then the question is... how to build
a static libGl to link it to? SUSE does not seem to come with one...

>>SUSE was great, it had all the upto date stuff, now my 8.0 is dated and
>> I have to upgrade to get new packages... blech. Now that I actually
>> have a lot of stuff in my linux system is when I need to change/ungrade
>> the damn thing.
>>:(
>
> I've always been a SuSe fan, but one of the drawbacks was that most
> people didn't use it and any incompatibilities between RedHat or
> Debian could be a bitch to sort out.  But they had the out-of-box
> experience down much better than the others and the configuration  tools
> were pretty good as well.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

They make things really easy and its nice to have all the up to date
stuff, but copying a DVD or 7 cdroms every year to keep it up to date... I
wish there was a debian style dist update... Maybe I just have to byte the
bullet and upgrade to 8.2...

Thanks chris,

Ben