[GEM-dev] Re: Gem/src/Pixes pix_filmDarwin.cpp,1.18,1.18

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Fri Dec 12 22:34:54 CET 2003

> On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 01:20  PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> ...I'm against a start/stop functionality:  I like the idea of [auto 1<
> with a toggle control, and I'd also support the ability to speed it up
> via an argument...but I thought that the point of auto was to allow the
> film to play back at whatever framerate you'd set the gemwin?

Why against start/stop? (play 1|0) I think it would be great to not reply
on external counters to do most playing stuff. a rate message tied
(perhaps as a percetage) to the render commands is great.

>> the whole thing is:
>> should we make a complete movie-player-object for Gem ?
>> or should it be possible to build a complete movie-player with Gem ?
>
> ...edit...
>
>> which brings us back to the long-discussed, approved and never done
>> "abstractions"-folder
>
> ...I really think we need this!  We already have the objects:  I think
> something like ben's abstractions are probably a good place to
> start...A good set of abstractions will go a looong way toward
> improving the newbie's learning curve...

This is true, and I would be happy to make non-Gop versions of these
abstractions is necessary. We do need easy access for a user to at least
play pause video, rate control is also nice. As an abstraction or as an
object means little for my argument here, its a purely from a user pov.

I'm apologize to all for not having my GOPs in the cvs abstractions, I'll
get on that when vacation hits. I think it would be great if they could be
included with Gem, or some form of them. (they now require zexy, OSC and
prepend)

B.